Saturday, September 1, 2012

Agents of Change

Many of the students in the Manaiakalani Cluster come from homes where a language other than English is spoken, so at any given time a number of our teachers will be enrolled in TESSOL papers at university.

Two of our inspirational teachers, Kyla Hansell and Aireen Ah Kui from Tamaki Primary School, have been taking the same paper this semester and presented one of their assignments in the form of a video entitled "Agents of Change".

Take the time to watch this video and be inspired by how the Manaiakalani Programme can enrich and strengthen the learning of our English as a second language learners.


3 comments:

  1. I think you have a great program for these children. I hope they become as enlightened by your effort as I am. Getting these children in touch with technology this early is very important. It changes so frequently and they need to be accustomed to this. I look forward to reading more of your posts about this program and your work! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyla and Aireen,
    I am so impressed with the work that you are doing with your students! They really seem like they are engaged and enjoying themselves. I think it is great that the literacy cycle system can be used for all subjects. This is important because it helps them to stay interested in all areas of their learning and not just select subjects. I was shocked to realize that I didn't even know how to do a screen shot with control 4!
    Great job guys keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Meghan and Lauren for your comments. I really enjoy showcasing the creativity and dedication of the teachers I work with as they try to make sense of what school could and should be like in this age of technology immersion. It is so empowering for the students with learning needs of one kind or another when their teachers are prepared to become agents of change in their lives.

    ReplyDelete